From the early days of the printing press, radio, and billboards that enabled ads to circulate widely, advertising has evolved alongside technology, refining the ways in which advertisers can target audiences. With the dawn of the internet era, online advertising became a new marketplace to reach potential buyers. At first, it came in the form of pop-ups and banner ads on specific websites, with pricing negotiated manually with site owners. As technology began to influence our world, ad networks, and ad exchanges, began to appear as a place to buy and sell ads. And eventually, a more efficient way of buying and selling ads arrived that allowed companies to understand the success of their advertisements.
The Emergence of Programmatic Advertising
Programmatic advertising can be broadly defined as purchasing digital advertisements automatically, leveraging the algorithms and the machines, thus removing the human factor from the ad buying process, making the purchasing of digital space faster and cheaper. Today, advertisers are capable of targeting highly specific healthcare professionals. Ads are priced, sold, and bought via a real-time bidding auction that happens in less than 100 milliseconds.
What is a Programmatic Marketing Platform?
Programmatic platforms are platforms like ours that help with programmatic advertising solutions. Programmatic advertising platforms are part of the advertising ecosystem, where each part is responsible for its own stage of the process. The result of their collaboration altogether serves for marketing, analytical, and operational purposes, thus satisfying both publishers and advertisers.
All platforms are set in advance to simultaneously perform their job, as per the intent of programmatic advertising, to reach users from a specific target audience with a personalized message, just at the right time. These platform types include DSPs, DMPs, SSPs, and Ad Exchanges. Let’s look at kinds of programmatic marketing platforms to get a better idea of what each one does and who it’s for.
Programmatic Ad Exchange
The ad exchange is where the DSP and SSP come together for programmatic advertisements to be bought and sold. Some ad exchange systems, like Doceree’s, combine DSP, SSP, and DMP in one so that everything’s provided for both advertisers and publishers under one roof.
Demand Side Platform (DSP)
A demand-side platform is a type of programmatic platform for the advertiser side of the process. The platform enables an advertiser (pharma brands in case of healthcare) to place or buy ad inventory in the open market. A DSP stores third party data and user-profiles and combines information with bids from advertisers. The DSP healthcare decides which ad to serve and where and when the audience lands on the webpages. The pixel that publishers include on their website provides data to create audience segments, sending the information to the platform. Advertisers benefit from the right placement of the ad while publishers profit from the highest bidder winning.
Supply Side Platform (SSP)
The supply-side platform is used by digital publishers to sell, manage, and optimize online advertising space. SSP has a dashboard with in-built publisher controls. It helps them manage ad inventory (position, size, format, etc.), the price per impression, and other campaign details. SSP healthcare is programmed to maximize the value that publishers receive from ads.
Data Management Platform (DMP)
A data management platform is an independent platform that collects, manages, analyzes, and activates data. The platform provides comprehensive user profiles to advertisers so that the data can be used in a programmatic algorithm to target the right audience. Advertisers use the insights in combination with a DSP, but publishers use them along with an SSP.
Now, as we have understood different platforms in details, let’s see how programmatic trading platform benefits advertisers and publishers:
How programmatic marketing platform benefits advertisers:
Before programmatic advertising, it was challenging for advertisers to access ad inventory. Automation solved the problem by making it much easier to understand and buy ad inventory. Following are the benefits of programmatic advertising in the case of advertisers:
- Transparency and controlAdvertisers are able to see what they are paying for and can control their advert placement on an advanced level. Doceree’s AI-enabled dashboards enable advertisers to track efficiency of campaigns in real time, providing them complete transparency, control and the ability to optimize for better efficiencies.
- High efficiencyThe programmatic platforms give access to several networks and multiple ad channels. Via Doceree platforms, advertisers gain access to telehealth platforms, physician networking sites, electronic health record, programmatic email, medical journals, medical education sites and medical associations and target Physicians on endemic platforms where behaviour change is the most effective.
- Advanced targetingThere are plenty of options offered to advertisers to narrow the audience and to show the ad only to the people who are interested in the product. Doceree’s integrated ad-tech platform employs AI and ML tools that help precision target Physicians, delivering higher engagements and subsequent conversions.
How programmatic marketing platform benefits publishers:
With the right tools and technology, programmatic advertising provides publishers the opportunity to monetize their platforms by hosting ads relevant to them. They can also access arrangements that bring them greater revenues through distinct bidding types. Following are the benefits of programmatic advertising in the case of publishers:
- Simplicity and effectivenessPublishers are able to optimize their ad sales with automation tools that reduce the time required to find advertisers. With Doceree, publishers can access a wide range of Pharmaceutical clients with a simple tech integration process.
- Relevancy & controlWhen visitors come to a publisher’s site, they will be served with adverts relevant to them because they’re part of the advertiser’s target audience. Doceree allows its publishers to stay in full control as they can customize where their ads appear and choose which types fit their site best.
- Higher revenue It can significantly raise publishers’ margins, helping them earn more from their available ad space. On Doceree, only the highest paying ads go live and publishers can improve their earnings from programmatic advertising at premium CPM/CPC from pharmaceutical brands.
The kind of granularity offered by programmatic advertising is tough to ignore. Those who are already moving in this direction have to step up their game as for both advertisers and publishers, technology could be a big game-changer.
It helps in increasing efficiency. For Pharma companies, the whole process of healthcare programmatic digital media buying is to streamline the process and have a more significant outreach in lesser time.